Wednesday, October 25, 2017

I'm Finally in Bolivia and in the Field!

{Dad Note:  Sorry I have been a few days late in posting this}

I'm here and the first week was amazing, even though I had some personal moments that have been tough. So, I slept the whole flight to Bolivia, which was good, and when we arrived the mission president, President Rodriguez, and a couple of other missionaries were there to pick us up at about 4am.



We got on what was probably the freakiest bus ever, but it was so cool.  I wish I had a picture of it HAHAHAHA. Then we headed to downtown Santa Cruz and went to this apartment around 6am and there were at least 8 other missionaries there passed out in beds sleeping.  Presidente Rodriguez told us at the airport that we could sleep from the time we got to the apartment until noon so we were all super pumped about that!   I woke up about 1145am and they took us to an Italian restaurant (yes, in Bolivia) and it was actually really good. We then took a taxi to Presidente's apartment.  Taxi drivers here are CRAZY!  We met with both his wife and him and had individiaul interviews with Presidente Rodriguez.

On Wednesday, I got to go to my new area and meet my new companion and trainer, Elder Estarita.  He is so awesome,is from Cali, Columbia, and speaks very little English, which is both good and bad.  He loves soccer (futbol).   Oh yeah, the food....I also got to eat Saltenas for the first time and they are amazing
Santa Cruz is divided into 'Rings' and the further out you go on the rings, the poorer the areas get.  I'm in ring 8 and the area is called '15 de Septiembre' and boy is it dirty!  It has a funky smell, but its home for the next 3 months at least so it'll do.


My companion and trainer, Elder Estarita from Columbia

We celebrated Elder Estarita's birthday...Feliz cumpleaños

Elder Estarita in front of our Casa

Inside our Casa


Our tiny 'casa' is nice, at least.  Not much from the outside, but nicer inside (see picture).  After I unpacked a little, we went and contacted in the street for the rest of the day.  This area has defintiely humbled me, seeing how so many of them live.  The people are super nice and love to listen to us.  I get frustrated when i can't speak what I want to say because of the language barrier or when their dialect gets in the way., but luckily I understand almost all of what my comp says..  Hopefully, things get better. Actually, I know they will, but I have had a couple of really down days this week along with the good (see all my journal entries).  I am struggling mucho and all your prayers help a lot.

BONUS:  I get to already baptize someone this next Saturday!

Ok, see my journal entries for more details.

I love and miss everyone.

Ciao, Elder Connor deCocq





One of my favorite families I've met so far

Futbol with the zone....12 v. 12!

Another family I love so much.  The people here are so friendly and nice

Food is BOMB!

Not sure what the white stuff is, but it is corny goodness!

During my flight layover in Peru from
Mexico, I met up with Elder Roswell (left)
and Elder Rockhill (right) who flew in
from the Provo MTC on
our way to Bolivia

My last pic from the CCM in the choir.  I loved singing
hymns with all of them



No comments:

Post a Comment